CEO of Group BRED
Affiliate Professor of Economics and Finance at HEC
Co-head of HEC’s Economics Major and “Managerial and Financial Economics” Master’s program
President of the French section of the European League for Economic Cooperation (LECE)
Member of the board of Rexecode
Member of the Supervisory Board and the Risk Committee of BPCE Group
First Deputy Chairman of the Fédération Nationale des Banques Populaires
Olivier Klein is both a graduate of the ENSAE, Graduate School of Economics, Statistics and Finance and graduated in Economics (Panthéon Sorbonne University). He also completed HEC’s Program in Advanced Finance and holds language diplomas in both Russian and English.
Olivier Klein joined the BFCE (Banque Francaise du Commerce Exterieure) in 1985 and held several positions of responsibility.
He was in charge of the Foreign Exchange risk and Interest risk management department for the bank’s major clients.
Then he created and managed the investment bank specializing in Acquisitions&Mergers and Private Equity.
He was then appointed corporate banking Regional Director of the Rhone-Alpes-Auvergne-Bourgogne-Franche Comté areas for medium and large sized companies. In addition, he was part of the working group that was in charge of the merger of Crédit National and BFCE which became Natexis.
Olivier Klein then joined the Caisse d’Epargne group in 1998 and served as CEO for Caisse d’Epargne Ile-de-France Ouest from 2000 onwards.
In early 2007 Olivier Klein was asked to manage the merger of Caisse d’Epargne Lyon and Caisse d’Epargne Grenoble and was duly appointed as CEO of Caisse d’Epargne Rhone-Alpes (the second largest bank of the Groupe Caisse d’ Epargne) after they successfully merged in June 2007. In parallel he chairs the retail banking committee of the Groupe Caisse d’Epargne.
In February 2010 he was appointed as CEO – Commercial Banking and Insurance- of Groupe BPCE (Groupe Banque Populaire and Caisse d’Epargne) overseeing Banques Populaires, Caisses d’Epargne and Banque Palatine. At this time he was simultaneously both a member of the Board at Natixis and at CNP and was also the Chairman of the Board at Banque Palatine.
Olivier Klein has been CEO of BRED – Groupe BPCE’s largest commercial bank- since October 2012.
The BRED group has a retail bank, a corporate bank, a private bank, a trading desk, an asset management company, an insurance company and bank subsidiaries in South East Asia, the Pacific region, the Horn of Africa and in Switzerland.
Olivier Klein is named President of the French section of the European League for Economic Cooperation ( LECE ) since january 2018 replacing Philippe Jurgensen
Olivier Klein is also an Affiliated Professor of Economics and Finance at HEC and co-runs the Economics Major of the « Grande Ecole » and the ‘Managerial and Financial Economics’ Master’s program. He teaches « financial economics », « monetary policy » and « banking management and economics ». He ran the ‘International Monetary Issues’ course at the University of Paris Sorbonne-Pantheon and oversaw research groups at the ENSAE School of Statistics and Economic Administration. He also was a member of the Scientific Committee at HEC and at Pantheon-Sorbonne’s Management Science PhD school.
Olivier Klein has been board member of the Ecole Normale Supérieure of Lyon in 2007-2008.
In april 2018, Olivier Klein is appointed to the board of Rexécode (a French non governmental macroeconomics research institute devoted to the analysis of the economic situation for its members.)
In January 2019, Olivier Klein becomes a Member of the Supervisory Board and joins for the occasion the Risk Committee of BPCE Group.
He is also First Deputy Chairman of the Fédération Nationale des Banques Populaires.
- Retail banking strategies for the technological revolution. Read my analysis in the latest issue of Revue d’Economie Financière entitled ‘Technologies and changes in financial activity’, that I co-edited with Jean-Paul Pollin, associate professor of economics at the University of Orléans.
- Stratégies de la banque de détail face à la révolution technologique. Retrouvez mon analyse parue dans le dernier numéro de la Revue d’Economie Financière intitulé « Technologies et mutations de l’activité financière », codirigé par Jean-Paul Pollin, professeur agrégé des universités, spécialiste d’économie monétaire et financière, et moi-même.
- Editorial from the European League for Economic Cooperation – French Section – January 2020
- Édito – Lettre semestrielle de la section française de Ligue Européenne de Coopération Economique – janvier 2020
- The pension reform is desirable and credible – Read the full version of my opinion piece in the 02 January 2020 edition of Les Echos
- La réforme des retraites est souhaitable et crédible – Retrouvez la version complète de ma tribune publiée dans Les Échos du 2 janvier 2020
- Quelques chiffres sur la retraite
- Monetary Policy and Financial Crises – Seminar of financial stability organized by Euro 50 in New-York, November 2019
- Retour sur les débats entre Olivier Klein et Xavier Bertrand sur le thème : « Inégalités des revenus, inégalités des chances », dans La Correspondance Economique et le Bulletin Quotidien
- Crypto-assets – Facebook’s Libra: currency or colossal marketing tool? – Read my analysis in the October issue of Revue Banque.